Knitting, baking and life in PA with two kids and four cats.

Friday, April 29, 2011

Closure, A Whole New Can of Worms

We closed on the PA house this morning, with only a few minor glitches. Bottom line: we are now the proud owners of a big ol' house!

Ben had to go to work afterward, but Eliza and I went over to measure and plan. Unfortunately my happiness balloon was almost immediately deflated when I knocked a hole in the previously-mentioned soffit, only to find this:

Inside the dreaded soffit

I believe this is a "waste water" pipe coming from the two toilets upstairs. According to my handy-man sources, it probably cannot be moved, at least not without a LOT of hassle. Phooey! Maybe we will just have cabinets with a giant pipe running through the tops on this wall?

The next section of soffit revealed yet another pipe, but this one was much smaller. I think this one could be moved fairly easily. Alas, it was very close to the opening and didn't make it into the pictures. The third section of soffit, which goes over the refrigerator, is hiding even more plumbing:





Way at the back on the right, you can see what I think is the cold water line going to the refrigerator. Again, this should be pretty easy to move (I hope). I put a call into the plumber to see what he can do. Fingers crossed for good news!

3 comments:

  1. Home improvement seconds after closing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the Pike way. Buy - renovate...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think this qualifies as improvement...yet. All I did so far was knock some holes in the drywall. We'll wait for the rest of the Pikes to arrive before things actually start improving. :)

    ReplyDelete